SMOKING FIRE SAFETY

ABANDONED PROPERTY

Recently there have been fires in our area that may have been cause by careless smoking.

More people die in fires started by carelessly discarded or abandoned smoking materials such as cigarettes butts and cigarette ashes than any other type of residential fire. Fires caused by smoking materials often smolder, sometimes for hours before the first flame. For most people who died in residential smoking fires, escape was made more difficult because they were asleep. The most common materials to first ignite are mattresses and bedding, followed by trash and upholstered furniture.

If you or anyone in your home smokes, make your home and neighbors home safer:

  • Do not throw butts into the streets or yards.
  • Use large deep ashtrays and check them frequently.
  • After entertaining in your home always check on, between and under upholstery and cushions and inside trash cans for cigarette butts that may be smoldering.
  • Completely douse cigarette butts with water before discarding
  • Don’t smoke in bed or lying down, especially if you are drowsy, medicated or have been drinking alcohol.
  • Consider additional smoke alarms in your home, specifically a photoelectric type, which is the most reliable for smoldering type fires.

If you see or smell smoke, gas call us immediately at 718-332-3333 , take the time to save this number in your phone!